Friday, 11 March 2011

Good start to the weekend

My step-kids stay with us five nights a fortnight - all in one big chunk. This is quite a rare situation I guess, most dads do a night here, a weekend there, but what can I say, my hubby is a good dad.

So, this is the beginning of one of our weekends and so far so good! We haven't seen the kids for a couple of weeks and they seemed full of beans and happy to chat - even the teenager!

I always feel uncomfortable on the first night they arrive. A bit out of place. Even after all this time it's a little like I'm an intruder in my own home, encrouching on their time with dad. I think this is definitely my issue though, not theirs. It's easy to read something into nothing and assume the worst. But last night was a bit different. I came home cheerful, determined to get off on the right footing and it was a good decision. I got hugs and kisses and a genuine sense that they'd missed me. It was nice.

I've just got back from a trip and couldn't resist buying the girls a little treat when I was away so I think they were pleased I'd thought of them - it's always hard to know for sure as they get so much from their mum that gifts are more like commodities. But still.

Dancing seemed to be the main evening activity and it was nice to see them both happy and cheery. I sat in the kitchen to eat tea so I could watch them and felt a bit more relaxed than normal, which was nice; normally I'm wound up so tight I can't let my hair down, which is strange as on the whole I'm a fun, happy and sometimes silly person!

The good thing about having a good first night is that it sets me up for the next few days, sets the tone, fingers crossed the rest of the weekend goes so well. I have to see the ex on Sunday and that is not a nice thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment